Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This is NOT a death sentence!

It's been a long month, but I promise to update as fast as possible! I've been very sick with an upper respiratory infection and double ear infections. On top of that, we had to put my cat down, so I've been very bummed and missing her. In between all of those, I'm still trying to find a job for next year.

I'm on spring break this week (reminder: I'm a teacher), so I have lots of doctors appointments scheduled. Yesterday, I drove into the city (about an hour away) to see the neurologist. She thinks my pain levels are getting much better, I've gotten through the rebound headaches (FINALLY!) and the headaches are still there but less severe than they were. She said she felt like my eyes were doing better, but that I still needed to keep the neuro-opth. appt today (I'll get there next). She is going to double my dose of amitriptyline / elavil (used for pain). I also mentioned that I'm not positive that I'm allergic to Sulfa and she recommended I see my PCP to see if there is a test for it or if she's willing to monitor me more closely to see if I'm allergic or not. Things would obviously be much less complicated if I don't. I also mentioned that I've been losing a ton of hair lately, to the point that it completely stops the water in the shower from flowing down the drain. It seems to be coming out in clumps (no missing patches however). I asked if it could be related and she felt it was not, so I'm going to go see my PCP about that as well and see if I've got a thyroid issue going on.

This morning, I went to the podiatrist because my plantar fasciitis that I have had for three years is not getting any better, just worse. I spoke with him about me losing insurance and we both agreed that it's time for me to have surgery, so I go back again in two weeks for a check up and we will schedule a surgery date at that time.

After that appointment, I raced back downtown to see the neuro-opth. Had my visual fields test done and it was better today than it was last month. Odd, but good news nonetheless. When he looked in my eyes, he said that they were "98% better" than they were when he first saw me. WOOHOO! More good news! And then instead of seeing him next month, he doesn't want to see me for 2-3 months. He said "I know I don't have to worry about you. You know how to get a hold of me if you feel there is a problem, you know the warning signs, and you're on medication that should regulate this from now on. There's no reason for me to see you as often." It felt great to hear that.

One more visit this week--on Friday. I'll see the PCP to see about the Sulfa allergy and see if I've got some thyroid issues going on, but overall, I do feel much much better.

I just have to say......This is NOT a death sentence. My life is not over and darn it, I will not stand by and let this disease get the best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment